Saturday, February 23, 2013

Simplicity.

Just had dinner at this market that I used to frequent as a child. Most of the shops were closed as it was already night time. Couldn't help but see that as an end of some sort in a chapter of my life's journey.

In life we usually strive for improvements, be it in our personal development, our achievements or even living conditions. However somehow as compared to those childhood times, although these 3 aspects of my life has seen a certain improvement, yet it still feels as though something is missing now as compared to then.

And walking pass those few hawker stalls that were open for business and looking at those people sitting there enjoying their dinner in that somewhat deserted market area, made me realise what's missing. Having dinner in a dimly lit place, with no fans, no aircon and definitely not nicely placed tables with posh looking table cloths and cutlery, isn't the way most people would want to live every single day of their life.

But somehow this simple setting brings about a sense of warmth that's so often missing when you dine in a high end restaurant. Marble floors, mental fork and spoons with their shiny veneer, plates made out of china, cool to your touch and cups made out of clear glass..somehow everything about it just seems so cold and detached.

I don't know why, but I just miss the simplicity of life back then. Maybe not so much the dirt, insects and the lack of air conditioning, but just that feeling of warmth. I miss being a kid. I miss going to the market with my parents, having my breakfast while my mother and maid go in to buy the fishes and veggies, eating my tau huay, drinking my grass jelly. Bugging my daddy for money to go play the $1 toy machine and to sit the ride machine thingy.

And buying bread for my fish. And killing my fishes. Unintentionally.

I just miss being a kid, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment